Monday, June 22, 2009

2001-??-?? - Rockpile

Article/mini-Interview: Kevin Barnes

Yet another talented band from the fertile Athens, GA soil, Of Montreal is a colorful cast of characters, many of whom have at least part-time residence in other esteemed indie outfits like Summer Hymns, Great Lakes, Marshmallow Coast and My First Keyboard. Its latest release, Horse and Elephant Eatery (No Elephants Allowed): The Singles And Songles Album, is a collection of previously unreleased or hard to find B-sides spanning the band's career. The album is fun in the summer sun. Although the band has bid farewell to Hoboken, NJ's Bar/None Records and signed on at the busy Kindercore camp, frontman Kevin Barnes slowed things down for a moment to answer these five weighty questions.

1. If you could bury your CD with any one dead celebrity, who would it be and why?
Kevin Barnes: Henrik Ibsen, because he invented beer and cologne and because his face looks lovely framed.

2. If you could trade your ability to make music for one superpower, what would it be and why?
KB: The ability to yawn and become a priest. I think I would become a hit at parties.


3. What previously recorded song do you think you could do better and why?
KB: I don't know if we could do it any better than The Beach Boys, but I would really love to do a cover of the song, "I'm so Young." It is one of my favorite songs of that genre. It is so sweet and innocent yet filled with emotion. Another thing that attracts me to it is that we have an inside joke involving the title. Andy always says, "Oh...You're so young," and it makes me laugh every time.

4. Who was the first person to break your heart?
KB: Julie Ouellette.

5. Paper or plastic?
KB: Paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment